Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Final Project: Legal Authority


I recognize that the process of finding a lawyer, let alone, talking to a lawyer can be quite a notion. However, fortunately, my “lawyer” process was fairly simple and easy. At the genesis of the assignment, I did what Professor Pinto suggested, which was to find a list of local lawyers on the internet. To my surprise, I didn't use any of the lawyers on the list I created. I was able to meet a lawyer in his office and interview him face to face. This was pretty exciting for me, especially since I was expecting an over- the -phone interview at the most. The gentleman I interviewed is John Ridilla. He is a Deputy City Attorney at the City of Las Vegas. John doesn't specialize in intellectual property, but he does specialize in contracts. Although, John was not an intellectual property lawyer, he was able to give me valuable input and answers to my questions. I admit, I was pretty nervous about meeting him, but he was a very friendly and helpful individual. He told me to call if I had any more questions, and even offered to contact some of his colleagues if I had any questions he couldn't answer. Needless to say, it was a great interview and experience. I believe John Ridilla was a good choice for my project. He was able to give me educated and practical answers to my questions. He also stated during the interview that, “Not all things are legal decisions, but business deals backed up by the law.”

The person solely responsible for making this interview happen was my aunt. She also works at the City of Las Vegas in the financing department. I simply asked her if she was able to get me some names of some local lawyers and she took it a step further by offering me an interview with one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment